All Resources

Do I need to get a special license for my service dog to be registered as a service animal?

No. Under Title II and III of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), covered entities such as businesses or state and local governments may not require any documentation related to a service animal. This includes any sort of proof that the animal has been certified, trained, or licensed as a service animal.

You can purchase service animal certifications or registrations online. However, these documents are neither recognized nor required by the US Department of Justice, the government department that enforces Title II and III of the ADA. Therefore, online registries or licenses have no legal weight in determining the rights of a service dog to enter public places.

If you have more questions about this or if you need to know more about something else under the ADA, please contact the Northeast ADA Center at 800-949-4232, by email at, or by submitting a question through our website.


Would you like more information about the services we provide? Ask our technical assistance specialists.

Contact Us