Service Animals Overview
Service animals are one of the most asked about topics on the Northeast ADA Center’s technical assistance hotline.
The ADA and Service Animal Handlers
What should a service animal handler know about rights and responsibilities when they go into the community with the animal?
The ADA and Service Animals
What’s a service animal? The answer depends on the situation, and this FAQ article explains the basics.
Miniature Horses as Service Animals
Why and how a miniature horse can be used as a service animal to assist a person with a disability.
The ADA and Health Care Providers
This article introduces basic Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements for health care providers.
Downloadables (Fact Sheets, etc)
- Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals Are Not the Same
Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals Are Not the Same
- Q&A - Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals in Single Family Homes Used as Vacation Rentals: ADA and FHA Implications
- Employment of Veterans with Service-Connected Disabilities
- Service Animals
Ask About The ADA
- Service Animals on Public Transit
Q: Are the rules for service animals different on public transportation than they are for service animals in other areas like restaurants and stores? A: The biggest difference between the Dept. of Tr...
- The difference between service animals, emotional support animals, or therapy animals can be confusing. Are they all covered under the ADA?
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), a service animal is defined as a dog, and sometimes a miniature horse, that has been trained to complete a specific task relative to the needs of an in...
- Do service animals need to wear a vest that identifies them as service animals?
No, a simple leash or harness is all that is required for a service animal. A service animal must always be under the control of its handler. No identifiers for a service animal such as a vest or an I...
- Emotional Support Dogs in Common Areas of Housing
Q: I was told by my apartment complex’s management that that I would need a doctor’s note in order to take my emotional support dog into any common areas like the laundry room. Is th...
- Are service animals permitted in disaster shelters?
Yes. Permitting a service animal can be a form of reasonable modification of a policy. Typically, a service animal should be permitted to go where the public is allowed to go. The handler must be a pe...
- What the ADA Tells Us about Accessibility when Implementing COVID-19 Regulations
During these times of uncertainty about what about what the “new normal” will look like as the country begins to re-open, we wanted to remind everyone about an oldie-but-a-goodie law that...
- Implementing the Americans with Disabilities Act in a Health Care Setting
Equal access to health care for individuals with disabilities is an ongoing challenge. The Northeast ADA will soon be offering a webinar based in part on this topic. People with disabilities lag be...
- Air Travel for Individuals with Disabilities: Intersection of the Air Carriers Access Act and the ADA
11/18/2015- A recent study by the Open Doors Organization revealed that in the past two years, more than 26 million adults with disabilities traveled for business or pleasure. While legislation such as the Air Ca...
- Issues, Impacts and Implications of an Aging Workforce
10/14/2015- The aging population is growing and the number of older adults in the workforce is rising, which presents multiple challenges to organizations. Age discrimination and the increased prevalence of disab...
- The expanding disability market: Scenario Clinic
09/30/2015- During this webinar, we will explore and discuss scenarios related to serving people with disabilities in a variety of sectors and businesses. Building upon the September 9 webinar, we will pose...
- Section 503, the ADA Amendments Act, and Disability Service Providers: Scenario Clinic
10/22/2014- Recent changes in disability laws and policies could lead to sweeping changes for individuals with disabilities in the workplace and other areas of life. New rules for Rehabilitation Act (...
- Section 503, the ADA Amendments Act, and Disability Service Providers: Your role in supporting employers and people with disabilities
10/08/2014- Recent changes in disability laws and policies could lead to sweeping changes for individuals with disabilities in the workplace and other areas of life. New rules for Rehabilitation Act (RA) Se...
- Generalizations, Speculation and Stereotypes about Individuals with Disabilities Do Not Justify Refusal to Accommodate Use of Service Animals under the ADA
10/16/2019- On August 30, 2019, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, covering New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, issued a precedential opinion in an important case interp...
- Free Webinar-ADA National Network Learning Session: Who Let the Dogs (and Miniature Horses) In? Service Animals in Health Care Facilities
05/20/2020- Thursday, May 28th, 202011:30 AM PDT - 1:00 PM PDT According to the Bureau of Global Public Affairs within the U.S. Department of State, approximately 500,000 service dogs assist people with disabili...
- Animals on Planes a Challenge for Airlines, Passengers
02/22/2018- When Marlin Jackson arrived at his row on a Delta flight from Atlanta to San Diego in June, a man with a sizable dog on his lap already occupied the middle seat. Jackson squeezed by them to his window...
- Service Animals and the ADA: Exploring Common Issues and Scenarios-Free Webinar!
11/15/2017- Tuesday, November 21st, 20172:00 PM EST - 3:30 PM ESTWhile more than 27 years have passed since the implementation of the ADA, there are areas which continue to raise questions and cause confusion. On...
- New York Passes Law Against Service Animal Fraud, Joining Other States
01/17/2018- New York recently joined an increasing number of states that have passed laws aimed at curbing abuse of laws and regulations designed to ensure that individuals with disabilities can be accompanied by...