Service Animals Overview
Service animals are one of the most asked about topics on the Northeast ADA Center’s technical assistance hotline.
The ADA and Service Animal Handlers
What should a service animal handler know about rights and responsibilities when they go into the community with the animal?
The ADA and Service Animals
What’s a service animal? The answer depends on the situation, and this FAQ article explains the basics.
The ADA and Health Care Providers
This article introduces basic Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements for health care providers.
The ADA and Transportation Providers
Consider why accessible transportation is so important and find an overview of requirements for public and private transportation from the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Air Travel for Individuals with Disabilities: Intersection of the Air Carriers Access Act and the ADA
11/18/2015- A recent study by the Open Doors Organization revealed that in the past two years, more than 26 million adults with disabilities traveled for business or pleasure. While legislation such as the Air Ca...
- Issues, Impacts and Implications of an Aging Workforce
10/14/2015- The aging population is growing and the number of older adults in the workforce is rising, which presents multiple challenges to organizations. Age discrimination and the increased prevalence of disab...
- The expanding disability market: Scenario Clinic
09/30/2015- During this webinar, we will explore and discuss scenarios related to serving people with disabilities in a variety of sectors and businesses. Building upon the September 9 webinar, we will pose...
- Section 503, the ADA Amendments Act, and Disability Service Providers: Scenario Clinic
10/22/2014- Recent changes in disability laws and policies could lead to sweeping changes for individuals with disabilities in the workplace and other areas of life. New rules for Rehabilitation Act (...
- Section 503, the ADA Amendments Act, and Disability Service Providers: Your role in supporting employers and people with disabilities
10/08/2014- Recent changes in disability laws and policies could lead to sweeping changes for individuals with disabilities in the workplace and other areas of life. New rules for Rehabilitation Act (RA) Se...
Ask About The ADA
- The difference between service animals, emotional support animals, or therapy animals can be confusing. Are they all covered under the ADA?
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), a service animal is defined as a dog, and sometimes a miniature horse, that has been trained to complete a specific task relative to the needs of an in...
- Do service animals need to wear a vest that identifies them as service animals?
No, a simple leash or harness is all that is required for a service animal. A service animal must always be under the control of its handler. No identifiers for a service animal such as a vest or an I...
- Are service animals permitted in disaster shelters?
Yes. Permitting a service animal can be a form of reasonable modification of a policy. Typically, a service animal should be permitted to go where the public is allowed to go. The handler must be a pe...
- Can my service animal sit in a shopping cart or up on restaurant seating with me?
No. Shopping carts, seating, and other places for consumer use are for people and service animal handlers only. Service animals are to remain on the floor and must be under the control of the owner at...
- Is there a place I can certify or register my dog as a service animal?
No. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) does not certify nor set up a registry for service animals. While a search on the internet will provide results of organizations claiming that they will c...